On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 08:04:57PM -0500, Brendan Cully mentioned:
> On Tuesday, 23 November 1999 at 12:30, John P . Looney wrote:
> >  Anyone that's using IMAP - change "RECENT" to "UNSEEN" in
> > imap/imap.c:1208, and "new mail" checking will feel a lot better.
> >
> >  Thanks to Brendan Cully for pointing me in this direction...
>
> I haven't used non-IMAP mutt in such a long time I've forgotten how
> folders with new mail are dealt with normally. Is this new behaviour
> more like normal mutt? I've gotten kind of used to the current (\Recent)
> behaviour, but if everyone would prefer going to \Unseen we can
> certainly change it?
>
> In short, does mutt put all folders that have unread mail in the "new
> mail" list, or only those that have mail that has arrived since you last
> opened the folder?

 It seems that neither is 100% satisfactory. The way that it is in 1.1.1,
is that when mutt scans the folders for new mail, it'll mark the folders as
RECENT. If you don't read the folders, and twenty seconds later mutt polls the
folders - they are now marked as UNSEEN - even though you have not opened
the folder etc.

 A folder should be considered "New" if the user hasn't looked at the index
of that folder since new mail has arrived. So, strictly speaking that
change I mentioned isn't quite right either (It'll mark the folder as new,
as long as there is a single unread mail in it).

 The folder should be set to "New" if the server considers it to contain
RECENT messages, but this "New" flag should not be cleared until you
actually view the folder through the "index" screen - it should not be
cleared as soon as the folder status changes to UNSEEN.

 Does that make sense ?

john

--
Microsoft. The best reason in the world to drink beer.
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~valen