Joshua Haberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Sun, 30 Jan 2000:
> I guess the gist of my first question is this: I upgraded from 0.85 or
> so (I wish I could remember the exact version) to 1.0.1i and the colors
> no longer work.

I don't think there's (m)any colour related changes in Mutt between
those versions, but I don't actually know.  Additionally, the only
colouring I use is having "urgent" or "important" messages displayed
in reverse.  So someone else who is more knowledgeable than me needs
to help you here. :-)

> > I don't know what you mean with "edit folders".
>
> What if I wanted to change the name of a folder? Or change it from mbox
> to another format? Or merge all of the contents of two folders into a
> third folder? This is the kind of thing I meant...

Changing the folder name can be done from shell (OS level).  Mutt
doesn't really support renaming a folder; the nearest you can do is
select all messages from folder A and save (move) them to folder B.
Depending on the $save_empty variable, empty folders get removed (I'm
not sure if Maildirs ever get removed, even if $save_empty is unset).

A similar procedure is needed also for folder type change (with suitable
changing of the $mbox_type variable), or merging folders...  Just learn
to use the T(ag-pattern) command and then the ; (tag-prefix) followed by
s(ave).  These kind of operations get rather easy after that.  For
folder renaming, I'd just do it on the OS level.

> Also, why does mutt insist on putting an equal sign at the beginning of
> the names of mailboxes? It sucks to have to type in every time...

The = is a shortcut of the $folder directory.  Eg. if $folder is ~/Mail,
then a mail folder called ~/Mail/mutt would be represented as =mutt .
If it's any easier, you can use + instead of = everywhere.

For folder operations, specifying a folder without = or + means that
it's a path relative to the directory where Mutt started in (the current
directory).  So if your $folder is ~/Mail, and you started Mutt while
being in that dir, then "=mutt" and "mutt" will refer to the same
folder.  Using = means the folder name is unambiguous, eg. "=mutt",
whereas "mutt" will be relative to the current dir.

> Just out of curiosity, do you generally have mail from different mailing
> lists filtered into different folders? It seems like it'd be much easier
> to manage that way...

I do, and I know many others do.  It depends on your tastes though.

If you do, you may find that changing the %L reference in the default
value of $index_format to a %F will give a nicer display.  (Another
FAQ there...) :-)

> Thanks for all your help. I never thought I could like a terminal based
> reader, but mutt's really starting to grow on me... :-)

I'm glad to hear that.  Mutt seems to have that effect on people. ;-)

Regards,
Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /