Matthew Dharm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Thu, 18 May 2000:
> Okay.. I've searched the mailing list archives for this, but it seems that
> I'm the only person trying to do exactly this, and I can't seem to make
> mutt do it.  Perhaps some of you out there can help.

Maybe. :-)

> Basically, I want to change my From: header under certain conditions.

Ok, there's three ways to change your From header -- setting $realname
and $from, $reverse_name, and thirdly to use my_hdr From.  In a
send-hook, you can only use my_hdr From.

> (1) Replying to a message sent to one of my mail aliases.  That is, if
>     someone mails me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I hit 'reply', I
>     want that to be my from address.  I can accomplish this with
>     reverse_name, but keep reading because this all ties together.

Right.

> (2) I'm _replying_ to mail that was sent to a mailing list.  This is the
>     tough case -- the To: field is some other random address, and the list
>     isn't mentioned in the headers (note that I'm not list-replying or
>     group-replying).  So far I haven't figured out how to do this.

Do you want to set your From header when you're sending *to* a mailing
list?  That can be done with send-hook and the ~l pattern operator.

If not, and you really mean what you say, then this isn't currently
do-able in Mutt.

> I guess what I'm basically looking for is a reply-hook.  Something that I
> can use to change things based on the message I'm replying to.  Does
> anything like that exist?

Nope, sorry.  There's been talk of ways to solve this, and I think even
the best way has been figured out (creating a pseudo-operator which tells
that the next pattern operator should match against the headers of the
replied-to message, not the current message, which could then be used in
send-hooks).  It's just that nobody's done it yet.

> Would it be possible to get it added as a
> feature?

Sure, if you write it, or get someone to write it for you. :-)

> With that feature, both problems are pretty trivial, and more
> flexibility is introduced -- reverse_name forces you to use the To: address
> on the message you're replying to (as determined by your alternates
> variable), and it would be nice to be able to hook on that and then
> determine what address to use (possibly another one).

Actually, you can also match against the *From* address in a send-hook
as well.  I'm not sure if this helps you at all, but you can use that
to find out when your from address has changed based on $reverse_name.
And I've not tried this, but I think you can also override the From
address from $reverse_name with the use of my_hdr From.

> Also imagine the situation where you're changing e-mail addresses.  I'd
> like to have a small blurb attached to the bottom of any reply I send to
> a message that was sent to my old address -- the blurb would give my new
> one.  As far as I can tell, this can't be done right now.

Well, if you can figure out the right send-hook for it, it's pretty easy
to do -- just change the contents of $signature for that messages.

> Tho I'd like to be wrong... anyone have any ideas?

I don't think so, but maybe what I wrote helped you.

Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /