Russell Hoover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Sun, 21 May 2000:
> I've noticed recently that when I'm looking at mutt's index, and I do a
> 'reload .muttrc', suddenly the parentheses around the number-of-lines field
> disappear.

[...]

> If I change folders (or even 'change' into the same folder), the parens and
> zeros are re-added.

Sounds like you have different settings for the $index_format in a
stand-alone "set index_format" command and in folder-hooks.

My suggestion is that you should check your folder-hooks for any
commands which change $index_format.  Then make sure the format is set
to your liking in both the initial "set" and in the folder-hooks.

As for what formatting to use, you can see the value of $index_format
with:

  :set ?index_format

Or if it's too long to fit on a single line, you can do:

  :set index_format=<TAB>

... where <TAB> is a single keypress, to get the current value in the
edit buffer.  This way you can then look at the value and compare the
differences between the two versions.

Hope this helps,
Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /