Timothy --

...and then Timothy Grant said...
% Hi,

Hello!

%
% I want to like Mutt but I have a huge number of questions that I haven't
% been able to figure out answers to. All of them have to do with IMAP.

I'm sure we can help you.  mutt is very likable :-)  I'm no IMAP guy, and
the best folks are probably the IMAP code writers and maybe Chris Green,
our resident IMAP-tester and -abuser, but here's what I have for you.

%
% My mail servers at work are all IMAP. I like being able to keep my mail
% on the server and not suck up my own personal disk space. However, I
% don't know how best to use Mutt in this situation.
%
% I currently use Netscape Communicator for my IMAP access It does some
% things I really like, however, it is unstable and flaky and huge and
% slow and it doesn't do some things that Mutt can do (e.g., different
% sigs for different To: addresses).

Yep.  You're in for a treat once you get this all worked out, I think.

%
% First, I would like to be able to filter all new messages to there
% appropriate folders when I check my mail. (e.g., messages from mutt.org
% go to the mutt folder). I know if I was using POP3 or fetchmail and
% procmail that this would be a cinch, how can it be accomplished with
% IMAP.

The short answer is "I don't know, but I hear it's out there".  I'm
actually working on the "mutt filtering FAQ" entry, but haven't had a
chance to get far with it, and one of the items is filtering under IMAP.
[The *right* answer, BTW, is to have the MDA do it at delivery time
instead of trying to have mutt do it -- but lots of people seem to want
to ignore that little point :-]

I hear that sieve is part of the Cyrus IMAP server, so if you're using
that you may be in luck.  If not, you might try getting procmail installed
so that you can ftp in a .procmailrc file and let it do the filtering
for you, the way it should be.  Finally, I've heard once that a fellow
named Mark Crispin (the 'net TOURBUS guy, anyone?) has an imap-tools
package which might let you do what you want, even if in a backwards way
(download, filter, upload) but it might not matter on a LAN.

%
% Second, I tend to archive my messages (20,000 at the moment) It appears
% that Mutt starts processing all the messages each time it is invoked. Is
% this the way it works, or have I just got something configured
% incorrectly?

mutt will, indeed, look at all of the messages in a folder when it opens
that folder.  If you keep all 20k messages in one place, then mutt will
have to go through them to get all of the headers.  If you can split them
up somehow so that you don't have so many all in one place (or perhaps
put the bulk of them where you don't look so often and the active few
where you *do* look regularly), you should see a nice speed increase.

%
% Third, I can set Netscape up to show me only the new messages, can I do
% that with Mutt?

That should be as simple as

  l ~N

to limit to 'N'ew messages (with the default keybinding of 'l' for
'limit').  If you want that automatically, just put

  push "l ~N\n"

into your .muttrc file to push the command, followed by a newline, at
startup.  If you want to do it every time you enter a folder, use
something like

  folder-hook . 'push "l ~N\n"'

to match every folder and do that when you open it (though that's just
from the top of my head and I may have some quoting problems).

%
% Thanks for your assitance.

HTH & HAND

%
% BTW: I have not yet subsccribed to the list, so could any replies come
% to me personally.

No problem.  Once you're subscribed, enjoy the opportunity to properly
set your Mail-Followup-To: header to specify how you want replies sent
regarding you and the list :-)

%
% --
% Stand Fast,
%     tjg.
%
% Timothy Grant                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
% Chief Technology Officer              www.exceptionalminds.com
% Red Hat Certified Engineer                           MIG #1433
% Avalon Technology Group, Inc.
% >>>>>>>>>>>>Linux...Because rebooting isn't normal<<<<<<<<<<<<

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature