Associate Dean:
n |I do not know about pdf2txt. Could someone please post a source for it
 |and perhaps add a link to the www.mutt.org pages - I do not think it is
 |there vut could of course be wrong.

pdftotext was written by the same guy that did xpdf.

    http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/xpdf.html

pdf2txt is just my simple shell script wrapper for it which supports getting
the text file on standard output.  See attached.

--
Randall Hopper
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> pdftotext
pdftotext version 0.90 (decryption)
Copyright c 1996-1999 Derek B. Noonburg
Decryption (originally) by Leo J.B. Smiers
Usage: pdftotext [options] <PDF-file> [<text-file>]
  -f <int>        : first page to convert
  -l <int>        : last page to convert
  -ascii7         : convert to 7-bit ASCII (default is 8-bit ISO Latin-1)
  -raw            : keep strings in content stream order
  -q              : don't print any messages or errors
  -h              : print usage information
  -help           : print usage information

> pdf2txt
Must specify PDF file on command-line.

Usage:  pdf2txt <pdf-file> [<text-file>]
#!/bin/sh
#
#  Dump PDFs to stdout or a file in text format
#

TMPFILE=/tmp/pdf2txt.$$
trap "rm -f $TMPFILE; trap 0; exit" 0 1 2 3 13 15

usage=y
if [ -n "$1" ]; then
  usage=n
else
  echo "Must specify PDF file on command-line."
fi

if [ -n "$2" ]; then
  exec 1>"$2"
fi

if [ $usage = y ]; then
  echo
  echo "Usage:  $0 <pdf-file> [<text-file>]"
  exit 1
fi

pdftotext "$1" $TMPFILE
cat $TMPFILE