On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 10:33:33AM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> -> P.S. Please don't use non-standard $indent_string. It prevents
> -> editors with mail modes (like jed) from rewrapping long lines in
> -> quotes while preserving the quote characters.
>
> What are the standard quote characters? An RFC reference will do
> fine. However, I doubt I'm the only person who uses this, so perhaps you
> could add it to the appropriate regex for your editor?

The default $indent_string is "> " and the manual says:

  You are strongly encouraged not to change this value, as it tends to
  agitate the more fanatical netizens.

The Jargon File also mentions "> " as the standard inclusion leader.

I've grepped RFC-1855 (Netiquette Guidelines), but couldn't find
anything about quoting styles.

Marius Gedminas
--
The last good thing written in C was Franz Schubert's Symphony #9.
                -- Erwin Dietrich