On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 11:36:34PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In my .muttrc, I've put a line in the way to set my editor:
> set editor="vi -c 'set wrap' -c 'set textwidth=0' -c 'set linebreak'"
>
> It works fine. But in some mailing-lists, one asked me to limit the
> length of my messages at 72 characters, because his mail reader didn't
> wrap correctly too long lines.

It's generally considered good netiquette to limit the line lengths in
mailing list and Usenet postings to 72 characters.

> I've tried to put in my muttrc one of these lines :
>
> send-hook '~t linux-bruxelles' set editor="vi +set textwidth=72"
> send-hook '~t linux-bruxelles' set editor="vi '+set textwidth=72'"
> send-hook '~t linux-bruxelles' set editor='vi +set textwidth=72'
> send-hook '~t linux-bruxelles' set editor='vi "+set textwidth=72"'
> send-hook '~t linux-bruxelles' set editor='vi "+set textwidth=72"'
>
> (this way of setting the option to vim avoids to use the
>  form -c "set  textwidth=72")
>
> but in doing so, I always get the message '+set textwidth=72 unknown option'

I don't really understand the rules, but here is one solution:

    send-hook '~t linux-bruxelles' 'set editor="vi \"+set textwidth=72\""'

You may already know to do this, but just in case you don't:  You will
need to add another send-hook to reset your editor back to your
preferred settings for the other mailing lists.  Otherwise, once you
send a message to linux-bruxelles, your editor will remain
'vi "+set textwidth=72"'.  So, put a default send-hook like this
somewhere before the '~t linux-bruxelles' send-hook:

    send-hook . 'set editor="vi -c \"set wrap textwidth=0 linebreak\""'

Note that you don't need a separate -c option for each setting.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | RF Communications Product Generation Unit