>       I'm sure it does work. It works for me. However, your MTA needs to be
> configured to leave the hostname alone if it's already present in the email.
> I'm using sendmail, which works fine. What are you using?

I am using sendmail too. But I dont really know enough about sendmail
to be messing with sendmail configuration files. But I do know that just
setting the hostname to cc.usu.edu doesn't do anything to my outgoing
mails. I have to explicitly set the my_hdr From: variable for it to
work. I even tried setting the hostname and sending mail to a local user
on my comp, but It still does not do anything. I looked in the manuals
and this is what it says
  hostname

   Type: string
   Default: ""

   Specifies the hostname to use after the ``@'' in local e-mail
addresses. This overrides
   the compile time definition obtained from /etc/resolv.conf.

I think this means that outgoing mail to LOCAL USERS only is affected by
it. but then I could be wrong.

Oh and one more thing! you could also be right.. I got the Mutt 1.2i
source from mutt.org and compiled it myself. With that version of mutt
the hostname works! that is it sets the hostname part to cc.usu.edu for
all mails like I want it to. but if I use the precompiled debian version
in frozen, it does not work with hostname. I need to set the From header
explicitly in that case.

Aravind