On Wed, Jun 21, 2000, Charles Curley wrote:

> -> 1.) what does emacs vs emacs client mean? I read that I must run
> emacs
> -> and mutt on the same host.. I don't understand the overall picture
> -> with this. Why/how is this different from specifying Pico in the
> -> .muttrc file? What is a server? I had to include some lines in my
> -> .emacs file about that.
>
> Sigh, methinks this is a candidate for a Mutt FAQ, even though it is an
> Emacs issue.
>
> Emacs is a big, fat program, and susceptible to a lot of
> customization. With all that, it can take a while to load ("Emacs Makes
> Any Computer Slower"). It is simpler, and the Emacs Way, to leave Emacs
> running during your session. To allow Mutt and other programs to feed
> files to Emacs for editing, use emacsclient instead. So in your .muttrc,
> specify emacsclient as your editor, not emacs. When you go to edit an
> email, emacsclient will feed the file to an already running instance of
> emacs (it will not launch emacs for you). When you are done, hit C-x #,
> and move your focus back to mutt.
>
> In this scheme of things, emacs is an editor server, and emacsclient
> lets
> mutt and other programs be clients of the server.
>
> You have to set this up in your .emacs. Because I run the same .emacs on
> several different OSs, I have the following in my .emacs (which, BTW, is
> posted on my web site):

> If you don't need the portability, this will do:
>

> (server-start)

I am currently starting xemacs for each mail I write (from mutt). So
I added (server-start) into my .emacs file, but it came up with the
following error:

Signaling: (void-function server-start)
  (server-start)
)
  load-internal("~/.emacs" t t t undecided)
  load("~/.emacs" t t t)
  load-user-init-file("")
  load-init-file()
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to install something which is missing?
(I hope this is not too OT.)

Regards,

Gunther

--