Kai Weber ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am searching for some tips how to archive and collect my mails. I do
> not want to delete mails I get. After 3 months using Linux my mailboxes
> grow and grow.
>
> How do you sort and archive your mails? I want to collect some possible
> solutions for first information and to see what is possible.
>
> If it is a integrated mutt-procmail-solution it would be nice.

I'm using a combination of procmail and a couple shell scripts for mail
sorting and archiving. Procmail sorts things into monthly directories such
as ~/mail/2000/08 with various mail folders (Maildir-style) in there. One
shell script that gets called by my Mutt config files displays all of the
mail folders in the current month's directory, plus the previous 2 months
for quick access. At the beginning of a new month, I have a cron job running
to convert the previous month's mail back to mbox format (using a program
from qmail - maildir2mbox) and then is gzipped (I patched Mutt with the
compressed folders patch).

Did I miss anything? Maybe... but I have (most of) my Mutt config files and
scripts at http://mutt.lazygenes.net - a lot of which was helped along by
the great help from the users on this mailing list, and a little dedication
to Mutt :)

I've been using procmail to sort into monthly directories for the past year
now, with no problems. I switched to Maildir a few months ago, and the
script I use to automatically convert and compress old mail has been working
fine as well (one or two tiny bugs, which got fixed rather quickly).

Hope this is of some help to you.

--
Herb:   All born in wedlock?

Homer:  Yeah, though the boy was a close call.

                   Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

PGP signature