do you have 'autoedit' set? if you do, here's what happens: when you hit
'm' to start a message, there is no recipient specified, so 'from' gets set
to the default value. you have to let mutt prompt for the recipient before
you edit, so that it can set the 'from' header.

peter

--
Peter Jaques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://cs.oberlin.edu/~pjaques