On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 10:20:06AM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Bob Bell proclaimed on mutt-users that:
>
> > Just open another mutt session.  Unlike many mail editors, you can
> > have multiple instances of mutt running at the same time.
>
>  However, mailbox flags get modified when you do this - especially with mbox
>  folders.  A better thing to do is to use something like gvim or emacs as the
>  editor (both of which pop up in different terms from the mutt window, and
>  multiple sessions of which can be opened leaving your mutt xterm free)
>
>  Of course, on a console, this means some tedious shifting between alt-f1,
>  alt-f2 ... virtual consoles  ;)

The problem is mutt will still wait for the editor to finish because
mutt will only determine it is a draft when you exit the editor and
hit the postpone key.  If there is a way to tell mutt not to wait
(just start the editor in another thread and handle the draft file),
then it is possible to edit a long draft and read other mails at the
same time.

For the time being, starting another copy of mutt is half a solution.

I can think of another solution: create a script that can handle the
draft file directly without help from mutt.  It will take the draft
file, parse it, take the contents out to a temp file, start the
editor with the temp file.  When editing is done, it will load the
temp file back to the draft file and modify the draft file headers and
put them back altogether.