On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 09:14:10PM -0500 or thereabouts, Garry Williams wrote:
> [ I posted this before, but from the wrong account, so it bounced ]

I've done that many times <g>

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 06:05:58PM -0600, Gary wrote:
> > Lately, I have been having a strange thing happen.  When I send off
> > mail, either a new one or a reply, after hitting "y", it just seems to
> > hang for a long time, and takes a minute or more for the mail to be
> > sent. I have checked my sendmail, muttrc, etc, but could not see
> > this delay?

> This delay could be coming from sendmail.  A way to find out would be
> to "catch" it with a top display.  Often, the problem is looking up
> names in the DNS that are associated with interface addresses on the
> subject machine.  Run sendmail from the command line in debug mode to
> find out:
>
>     $ /usr/lib/sendmail -d0.4 [EMAIL PROTECTED] < /dev/null

Garry, Joe, Michael, thanks for your replies. I too think it has
something to do with the DNS lookup, or something in my configs
somewhere.  Anyway, from Garry's above, here is what I get.

Version 8.10.2
 Compiled with: LDAPMAP MAP_REGEX LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS NISPLUS QUEUE
                SCANF SMTP TCPWRAPPERS USERDB

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = linux
  (canonical domain name) $j = linux.local
         (subdomain name) $m = local
              (node name) $k = linux

Presently, I am running SuSE on a single workstation, hence the
linux.local domain name.  I will look at the top or Gtop display too.
I am certain it is a sendmail problem, and therefore out of the scope
of this group.  I will also look at the man pages for sendmail for
additional options, etc.

        Thanks guys.

--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought: A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than
any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of
handguns and tequila."  - Mitch Radcliffe

PGP signature