On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 11:21:09PM -0600, Gary wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 09:14:10PM -0500 or thereabouts, Garry Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 06:05:58PM -0600, Gary wrote:
> >     $ /usr/lib/sendmail -d0.4 [EMAIL PROTECTED] < /dev/null
> >
> Garry, Joe, Michael, thanks for your replies. I too think it has
> something to do with the DNS lookup, or something in my configs
> somewhere.  Anyway, from Garry's above, here is what I get.
>
> Version 8.10.2
>  Compiled with: LDAPMAP MAP_REGEX LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
>                 NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS NISPLUS QUEUE
>                 SCANF SMTP TCPWRAPPERS USERDB
>
> ============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
>       (short domain name) $w = linux
>   (canonical domain name) $j = linux.local
>          (subdomain name) $m = local
>               (node name) $k = linux

Although this is off-topic, here is your problem.  The sendmail
program will try to look up the names above and will fail.  That
failure will often actually take a minute or so, because sendmail will
continue to retry that long (without a response).  You need to correct
it by modifying your sendmail.cf file or assigning a _real_ name to
your server (one that is actually in the DNS).  Also, see the system
logs for sendmail's complaints about not being able to determine the
name of the system it is running on.

You really should fix this because sendmail will supply headers that
are really invalid.  This means there will be no way to notify you of
delivery failures, if they occur downstream.

Hope this helps.

--
Garry Williams, Zvolve Systems, Inc., +1 770 551-4504