On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 11:29:28AM -0500, Nathan Cullen wrote:
>I currently run mutt in two different situations:
>1. on my home machine (linux) in a transparent Eterm window

Yay.

>2. ssh-ing into my home machine from a Windows box.

My condolences :-).

>When I'm home, I set all my background colors to "default" so that the
>transparent Eterm effect works in X.  However, when I'm on a Windows box
>and I ssh into my machine, the "default" background color causes
>problems.  The "current message" bar's colors bleed into the next item
>in the message index, and when viewing in the pager, the header colors
>bleed into my message text.
>
>To solve this issue, I set the background to "black" when I ssh into the
>box and everything color-wise is ok.  This works because I don't need
>the transparent backgrounds when I ssh in.

Here's a novel workaround, which may solve more than just your Mutt
problem, and may or may not work based on with what you have to work.

1.) install VNC (X) (http://www.uk.research.att.com./vnc/)
2.) arrange for your display manager (e.g., xdm) to start Xvnc and to
put up a login dialog on your VNC server (optional)
3.) install VNC (Win32, or WinVNC)
4.) ssh in using port forwarding, and possibly compression (VanDyke's
SecureCRT is one such Win32 program that will do that)
5.) use WinVNC to connect to your local machine on the port being
forwarded by your ssh client (e.g., mycomputer:1 to connect to a ssh
listening on mycomputer's TCP port 5901).

This (in a slightly more convoluted fashion due to a proxy also being
in the way) is what I do to run my X apps "securely," including xterms
running Mutt in them.  I use VNC to take advantage of its graphical
encoding/compression (over just using bare X11), and use ssh's
compression on top of that.  Over my present V.90 connection, it's not
too bad.

--
Oooooo-oooo-oooo-ooooo, Oooooo-oooo-oooo-ooooo, Ooooo-weem-oh-wum-ooo-ayyy
In the jungle, the silicon jungle, the process sleeps tonight.

PGP signature