On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 11:49:15PM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 12:49:27PM +0530, Joane Lispton wrote:
>
> > So, if, e.g., the PPP link is down and I haven't noticed that, mutt will
> > tell me that my email has been sent, while it is actually stored in some
> > directory on my hard-drive, awaiting my next connection to the
> > Internet... probably established to download the replies to the emails I
> > _thought_ I had sent!
>
> I actually think queueing is a *feature* on laptops. I frequently compose
> emails while I'm disconnected (say on a train or in a coffeeshop) and
> intentionally let the MTA queue them up. When I'm back online the MTA will
> take of sending them without my worrying about it.

It's not just laptops. Any machine with a dial-up connection where that
connection is dial-on-demand really needs queueing. I've had a net
connection like this since 1995 and have been using sendmail to do the queue
handling all that time.

When I bring up the link the queue gets flushed. Nice and simple.

--
Dave Pearson:              | mutt.octet.filter - autoview octet-streams
http://www.davep.org/      | mutt.vcard.filter - autoview simple vcards