On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 11:48:23PM +0530, Joane Lispton wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> >When I bring up the link the queue gets flushed. Nice and simple.
>
> That's my problem with queueing MTAs: if the link goes down before the MTA
> relays the emails (e.g., my connection is accidently dropped while I am in
> mutt), I think they were flushed but they still are on my hard-drive. And
> to really make sure that mail got _sent_, I have to look at SMTP log
> files... :-(

Sounds like you're trying too hard here. With sendmail (insert your MTA of
choice here as I'm sure they all work in a similar way) all I simply need to
do is type "mailq" and I can see what's still in the queue and why.

> To sum it up, when it comes to the trade-off between
>
> - doing all the queueing manually, and knowing (from within mutt) that mail
> has been successfully relayed
>
> and
>
> - having a MTA do the queueing for me, yet, if I wish to make sure that
> something is already at the relay host, I have to dig in log files,

I've never needed to dig in the logs to see if anything has gone. I simple
check the queue. Further to that, most of my net connections are done at
timed intervals and are brought up via cron. Quite often I'm not even at my
desk when this happens. As you might imagine any kind of manual intervention
on my part, be it handling the queue by hand or reading logs, would be out
of the question.

--
Dave Pearson:              | mutt.octet.filter - autoview octet-streams
http://www.davep.org/      | mutt.vcard.filter - autoview simple vcards