on Wed,08 Aug 2001, Brian Salter-Duke wrote:

> To get these to work I had replace ~/.mutt etc with a full path to the
> file. ~ does not seem to work in mutt macros for me.

Does mutt use 'sh' when executing macros?  It does for me even
though I have set the mutt 'shell' variable to bash in my muttrc
file and the SHELL environment variable is set to bash in my bashrc.
This means I may not have configured mutt properly ie I could try
running config again with --with-exec-shell ...

I found a reference in a book called "Think Unix" by Jon Lasser
in which he mentions that '~' is not supported by the Bourne shell and
that for compatibility all occurences of '~' in the $PATH or other
environment variables should be replaced by $HOME.  This has also
solved a similiar problem I was having with my mailcap file in which I
had to have full pathnames when '~' was used in my $PATH environment
variable.

HTH

Chris

--
   You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever. -Anonymous