Suresh Ramasubramanian spake thus: (Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 07:51:11AM +0530)

> Nate Johnston [mutt-users] <10/08/01 14:51 -0500>:
> > I am running mutt, but I do not want to submit my mail to the running
> > Sendmail daemon for reliability reasons.  I am looking for a utility
>
> Erm, how (un)reliable is sendmail?  Especially newer versions (current: 8.11.5)
> of sendmail?

My issue is not with sendmail, per se, but with a new set of policies
that have been implemented locally.  Redirecting all mail from the Unix
host to a Windows NT machine to be virus and "content" screened is a
decision I disagree with.  And seeing as that screening server has
already had three significant downtimes in the past month I'd like to
bypass it altogether.

> > that will connect to a remote mailserver using SMTP AUTH and send just
> > the email I provide to it, from the command line, not running in daemon
> > mode or requiring superuser priveliges.
>
>  http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html
>
>  1. You don't need to run it in daemon mode at all (remove the -bd flag)
>  2. Sendmail is quite secure - even if it does run setuid root.  If you don't
>  want setuid root, go to sendmail 8.12 beta 16 (quite stable).

This is a multi-user system and I do not have superuser priveliges.  My
impression is that compiling and installing a home-directory local copy
of sendmail is an exercise best avoided if possible.

--N.

--
Nate Johnston                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GPG footprint: DEAF B505 0D84 1AEF A43F  91C5 71B3 D053 D0E1 3C05

PGP signature