On 09/30/01 06:35 PM, Mat?j Cepl sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:43:18 -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > Hey folks.  I am having a slight problem with inews.  I installed inn
> > from the ports, so I could post news with a patched version of Mutt on
> > FreeBSD.  When I try to post, I get a Child exited with error 127.
> > Mutt calls with "/usr/local/news/bin/inews -hS"
> > I am not running innd.
>
> I had a similar problem, but when I used /etc/news/inn.conf from
> my binary RedHat package of inn (just that file, I use leafnode
> otherwise; and it may be different on FreeBSD), changed couple of
> lines -- organization, server, and domain -- and it works. I have
> not been able to work with inn.conf created according to
> inn.conf(5) manpage (it told me always, that mta is not set, even
> when it was).
>
> If you wish, I can send you my inn.conf.
>
>               Have a nice day
>
>                               Matej Cepl

You know, I had this same problem a while back, but couldn't find the
message where I detailed the solution - and I knew it was a simple
thing.  Couldn't dig it out of my brain either.

Finally I found the catch - the temp directory specified in inn.conf
has to be world writeable.  All temp directories should be, right?

My solution was the same as on the other machine - change the temp
path to /tmp

Problem solved.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

IBM Pollyanna Principle:
  Machines should work.  People should think.