shock wrote:
[you should probably set your editor to wrap at ~72 chars]

> I'm having two problems.  First, when I bring up a listing of mail
> folders, I'd like to see some indication of which folders contain new
> mail.  I have the following in my .muttrc:
> set folder_format="%F %-8.8u %-8.8g %d %8s %N %f"

do you have:
mailboxes !
mailboxes foldername1
mailboxes foldername2

and so on in your .muttrc as well?

> The display follows the format exactly, but %N seems to have no
> effect.  Is there something else I need to be doing?

> Second, when composing new mail, shift-L produces a message stating
> that no email lists were found.  I have the following in my .muttrc:

?? you shouldn't be using 'shift-l' when composing new mail... just when
replying.

> unlists *
> lists [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> lists [EMAIL PROTECTED]

mine is like this (i've never used the feature for known lists, although
perhaps i should).

# $Id: lists,v 1.11 2001/10/17 09:17:55 william Exp $

## [EMAIL PROTECTED]
subscribe mutt-users
## dynagroove
subscribe dynagroove
## zsh
subscribe zsh-users
## debian bsd
subscribe debian-bsd
## bind users
subscribe bind-users comp-protocols-dns-bind
## bind9
subscribe bind9-
[...]

HTH.