David Champion wrote:
> On 2001.11.02, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "Will Yardley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > if people want to be cc'd or replied to privately, they will
> > probably have 'set-followup-to' or 'reply-to' set to their address.

> I don't find that to be true. Many people are aware that they can do
> that, and they do, but many more (in my experience) do not. Rather,
> they just say in the text of their message that they'd like private
> replies or carbon copies.

no that's true (and that's partially) why i mentioned the possiblity of
them stating one preference or another in the reply.

> > it's generally considered rude to send to both a list and to someone
> > on the list, so you should only do this if the person has
> > specifically indicated that they want to receive a cc.
>
> I don't think that's *generally* considered rude, either. I consider
> it an aspect of using e-mail in the contemporary environment. I
> suspect that most people expect this behavior.

fair enough.  most of the lists that i'm on are closed to outside
posters, so unless someone has specifically requested a cc i usually
reply to the list (especially since some people _really_ don't like it
if you respond to them).  i've found that most people feel this way on
mailing lists that are also gateways to newsgroups....

> > with other mutt users at least (are there any other MUAs that set
> > 'mail-followup-to' correctly??) if they're not 'subscribed' to a
> > mailing list, their 'mail-followup-to' will probably include both
> > their address and the list address, so <list-reply> will cc them
> > automatically.
>
> This is the thing you can count on. I always group-reply in lists that
> I know have an open posting policy, because I cannot assume that the
> sender is on a list, and because there is a way (m-f-t) to indicate
> that you don't want a copy, and because my mailer respects that.

yuppers.  i actually didn't realize that group-reply honored
'mail-followup-to' - knowing that probably would have changed my answer
a bit.

i guess i assumed that group-reply would blindly reply to all (except
yourself if you have metoo unset).  doing 'group-reply' can start to get
ugly when a lot of people are cc'd....

i don't care too much when people cc me, since i have different
addresses for each list, and filter mail sent to those addresses to the
appropriate folders anyway... plus i use procmail to eliminate
duplicates based on message-id.

i still generally prefer to just receive a list-reply though.

speaking of this, is there any way to have a macro that does (in
essence)....
if (there is a valid list), ask me if i want to list reply if i hit
'reply' instead of 'list-reply'

this way if i accidentally hit 'r' instead of 'L' it'll make sure i
actually mean to do that.

actually at this point, i'm so used to hitting 'l' instead of 'r' that i
sometimes try to list-reply to my friends :>

GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/