At some point hitherto, Roman Neuhauser hath spake thusly:
>     This format can get _very_ slow with large mailboxes on filesystems that do
>     not handle directoris with many files in them. This should include the
>     Linux ext2fs.
>
>     FreeBSD post-4.4 FFS with softupdates and dirhash should shine with this
>     format.

I'm no expert, but it strikes me that OPENING maildir mailboxes on ANY
filesystem will ALWAYS be slower than mbox, because of what you need
to do.  An mbox mailbox will generally have little fragmentation on
most Unix-like filesystems, so when you open it (in the mailbox sense,
as opposed to the filesystem sense, i.e. to get all the headers), it
will be something like this:

  open
  read
  read
  read
  read
  close

Whereas a maildir format mailbox has many small files, which could be
anywhere on the disk partition.  So when you open one, you have to go
through these contortions:

  open
  read
  close

  seek (the disk heads, not the syscall)

  open
  read
  close

  seek

  open
  read
  close

  seek

I can't see how this could ever be fast...

--
Derek Martin               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I prefer mail encrypted with PGP/GPG!