* Alexander Skwar ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

 So sprach »Ricardo SIGNES« am 2002-01-27 um 11:02:07 -0500 :
> > that Maildir is faster.
>
> Well, saying it so broad as you did, the only answer to this is,
> that your statement is wrong.  On certain filesystems Maildir may be
> a little faster than mbox, but for example on reiserfs Maildir is
> tremendously slower in mutt.

Maildir may be faster if you know it's going to be cached.  It's still
likely to be a bit slower on reading, but updates are usually going to
be faster.

I demonstrated this when I gave cached/noncached examples; while mbox
was only slowed down by about 15%, Maildir took over 300% longer to
read, but when cached there was barely a 10% difference.

For an often accessed working folder on a system with plenty of memory
and few users, Maildir will probably have the edge, especially if you're
not one of us 700+ message a day weirdo's who keep all their mail :)

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  http://www.aagh.net/
-