Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 02:24:22PM -0800, Will Yardley wrote:

> > i usually use xterm-color in FreeBSD even though you really shouldn't
> > ever use 'xterm-color' since color 'ls' only works (AFAIK) when $TERM is
> > set to this. on linux, i use xterm-xfree86, or sometimes just xterm.
>
> xterm-color is always incorrect for xterm and rxvt...
> (it happens to work if you don't care much about how well).

> color 'ls' ignores the termcap and terminfo databases, btw.

  CLICOLOR

  Use ANSI color sequences to distinguish file types.  See LSCOLORS
  below.  In addition to the file types mentioned in the -F option some
  extra attributes (setuid bit set, etc.) are also displayed.  The
  colorization is dependent on a terminal type with the proper
  termcap(5) capabilities.  The default ``cons25'' console has the
  proper capabilities, but to display the colors in an xterm(1), for
  example, the TERM variable must be set to ``xterm-color''.  Other
  terminal types may require similar adjustments.  Colorization is
  silently disabled if the output isn't directed to a terminal unless
  the CLICOLOR_FORCE variable is defined.

(from the 'ls' man page). in freebsd, colorized ls doesn't work with
xterm (ie it will work if you're on a linux machine or something but not
on the machine itself).

i use Eterm, but haven't had any problems with xterm-color.  i know that
it's incorrect, but it works for me ok.

if anyone knows a better workaround, let me know.