On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 02:49:31PM -0500, Rick Janka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm new to mutt, so if this post violates existing protocol or is in
> the wrong group, no doubt I will be notified quickly.

mutt-users is actually a more appropriate list in this case, so I'm
cc'ing this there.

[...]
> On the UnixWare platform, sendmail is configured fine, and I can use
> either mail, mailx, or mailto to send a text file to the desired
> target system.
[...]
> So I downloaded, built, and installed mutt, and am using it right out
> of the box.  When trying to use it to send a simple text-only message,
> I get the following:
>
> jordan% mutt  [EMAIL PROTECTED] < file.txt
> Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.).
> Could not send the message.
> jordan%

It sounds like mutt is not looking in the right place for sendmail.
What's the full path to your sendmail binary?  In mutt, type
":set sendmail"
(not including the quotes) -- what value does it say the sendmail
variable has?  There's a good chance that mutt is looking for
/usr/lib/sendmai and you actually have /usr/sbin/sendmail, or vice
versa, though autoconf should (I think) detect this.

-Daniel

--
Daniel E. Eisenbud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We should go forth on the shortest walk perchance, in the spirit of
undying adventure, never to return,--prepared to send back our embalmed
hearts only as relics to our desolate kingdoms."
                                        --Henry David Thoreau, "Walking"