Quoting Stephan van Beerschoten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [22 Feb-02 05:59]:
> I recently installed a completely new machine (FreeBSD
> 4.5-RELEASE) that replaced an older one. I also installed Mutt.
> But now, mutt keeps telling me that there is "new mail in
> =System", which is one of my procmail-sorted mailboxes, when
> there is no new mail. And after I opened =System, mutt tells me
> there is "new mail in /var/mail/stephanb", which was the
> mailbox I just left.  Not surprisingly, as I switch back to my
> /var/mail/stephanb folder, there is no new mail.
>
> This is rather irritating. Has anyone else experienced this
> kind of behaviour ? What can I do to get ridd of it ?

Is your time correctly synchronized?  Are you using NFS, and if
so, is the time on that box synchronized correctly?  Leaving a
folder writes the contents, naturally, so if the time on the
machine doing the writing is different from the time on the
machine doing the stat (where mutt is running), you'll get false
positives for new mail.

(darren)

--
This is the crucial difference between fiction and real life:
fiction must be plausible; real life has no such constraint.