> 1: What does the * mean on the tree arrow in a thread? I've searched the
> manual for this repeatedly, but I must keep missing it.

This might not be in there yet -- mutt's threading subsystem was recently
overhauled, and i'm not sure if the old one had a "*".

It means that mutt thinks the message is part of the thread, but isn't sure
exactly where in the thread it belongs. For example, it might have a subject
which matches the thread, but no specific In-Reply-To header explaining
exactly where it belongs.

>   folder-hook . 'ignore X- Resent- Errors-To Envelope-To'
>   folder-hook IN-Spambox 'unignore *'

This is a wild guess, but try putting a '\' before the '-', since the first
arg is a regexp.

--
Mike Schiraldi
VeriSign Applied Research