On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 06:05:05AM -0500, David Collantes wrote:
>* John Buttery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [05-03-02 02:07 AM EST]:
>
>> >I am looking to add an extra header to my outgoing mails if there is an
>> >attachment. I tried the following macro:
>> >
>> >macro compose a ":my_hdr: X-Attachment: Safe\n<attach-file>"
>> >
>> >But it seems that at that point headers can not be added that way. Anyone
>> >has a better, working idea?
>>
>>   The concept is sound, but your execution is a little off.  :)  First
>> of all, the command is "my_hdr", not "my_hdr:", so that'll give you some
>> problems.  Try this:
>>
>> macro compose a ":my_hdr X-Attachment: Safe<enter><attach-file>"
>
>John and folks,
>
>That recommendation does not works neither. I think that when you are at
>that point -email already composed- it is not possible to add any extra
>headers. They need to be added 'before' you enter message compossing. IN
>other words, unless someone else can provide the right macro, it can not
>be done at the point I am trying to.
>
>Perhaps creating a macro with \' that will start the compossing of an
>email with the special header on. If I am attaching something to an email
>I should know before I start typing that I will be doing so... just an
>idea, I guess...
>
>Cheers,
>
>--
>David Collantes - http://www.bus.ucf.edu/david/
>College of Business Administration, University of Central Florida
>"Only a life lived for others is a life worth while."

  Oh, you're right of course, I didn't even think about the significance
of the "compose" context.  Hmph.  Yeah, it looks like you may be stuck
macroing a secondary compose key for what you want (well, that or
manually editing the headers).
  Assuming you're not worried about rogue attachments being added at
your end (but rather a compromised MTA along the way), you could be
SUPER motivated and write a wrapper for $sendmail that takes the
message, parses any attachment names out of it, adds the header with
formail, and _then_ sends it to sendmail or whatever for MTA-ing.
That's some pretty heavy kung fu but it might do what you want.

 John Buttery
                                     (Web page temporarily unavailable)