On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 05:13:27PM -0500, Joel Hammer wrote:
>map z z   <--- fast shift email to top of screen. First command given
>after email comes up in vi.  I wish I could get this to happen automatically.
>
>Joel

  Well, I'm pretty much a vi newbie myself but someone showed me a
command called "normal" which lets you specify characters to pass
arbitrarily to vi.  I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do there,
since you seem to be mapping a key back to itself (map z to z) but
that's probably just because I don't know enough about vim rc syntax.
Anyway, try something like this:

normal z^M

  ...or whatever you would normally physically type to vi to get it to
do whatever.

  Oh yeah, and yes vi=vim in this email.  :)  5.8 specifically, and yes
I plan to upgrade soon.

 John Buttery
                                     (Web page temporarily unavailable)