Quoting Mike Erickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [Mar 08, 2002 11:51]:
> I think a major improvement would be to store the configuration
> file (sorry for the buzzword) metainfo seperately.

*nod*

> Have a parsable file containg the options, possible values, and
> description. This will make adding new configuration directives
> much easier than writing (and reusing) code for each one.
> Opinions?

I tried that, but there seemed to be too many variations for it
to be done in a way that (a) didn't take more than a hour or two
(I was doing this on the train home last night ;), (b) could be
easily ported to another language if we decide to not use Perl,
and (c) took all the possibilities into consideration (other than
string-based, boolean, and quad-options, there's the issue of
alternates, which takes 0 or more addresses and makes a regex --
too hard to do in a generic way, without making each directive be
code that gets evaluated at run time, which is cake for Perl but
starts to become Perl only very quickly... ;).

I like the mon does things:  a master script that calls other
scripts, and expects the script to send its results to STDOUT.
We could do this, make what I wrote a shell script that basically
does:

  for file in config/*; do
    results=`$i`
    echo $results >> $new_muttrc
  done

And the individual config modules can just pull everything from
%ENV (or os.environ or getenv() or whatever is appropriate).

> ps: Coincidentily, I'm in the process of developing an
> ancillary tool for people trying to get GPG+mutt working fast
> and easy.

Cool!  Can it be integrated, and, if not, can you send me a URL?
I keep procrastinating...

(darren)

--
The rebootings will continue until the configuration works.