Cameron, et al --

...and then Cameron Simpson said...
%
% On 11:44 21 Mar 2002, Steve Talley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
% | David T-G wrote:
% | > ...and then Steve Talley said...
% | > > orignal, why shouldn't it be able to do the same with an arbitrary
% | > > shell script?
% | >
% | > It can -- just as you've defined it within your macro :-)
%
% Hmm. I was thinging along the same lines as Steve, but then: if my index
% is ordered, I'd expect the the edited message to show up in the right spot

Sure; that makes sense.

% in the index anyway regardless of being "a fresh message". So Steve, do

Well, unless you change pertinent information in the message (if you sort
by threads but break the References: header, or if you sort by date but
change the date, or ...) it ought to land right where you expect it to.

% you order your index on some message feature (eg Date:) or just physical
% mail folder order?

If you sort by mailbox order then it should land at the bottom just as
you'd expect from the sorting :-)  That's actually only half a smiley;
I'd much rather have it down there if that's how I sort than to have it
either magically displayed out of order or, heaven forbid, have it
inserted in the middle of my potentially huge mbox file.

%
% | Suppose my default $editor is something ridiculously long, like:
% |     vi -o2 -e -b '+/^subject' '+s/^subject/SuBJeCt/i' '+/^$/'
% |
% | Then I have to reset it in every macro:
%
% Stuff in in an envvar. Like $EDITOR, which it probably is anyway. Then:

I like this approach as well.  There was even a patch that let you
access environment vars and/or mutt vars in a script, but I forget the
specifics...  Perhaps someone could dig it out; I'm almost certain it's
by one of the authors in my cocktail.

%
% Maybe a fresh mutt command:
%
%       :pushvar editor='.......'<return>;e:popvar editor

We're treading on risky ground; the next thing you know we'll be putting
in a scripting language whether we like it or not :-)

%
% Just ideas,
% --
% Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/
%
% Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it.

HTH & HAND

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]