* Jeremy Blosser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-03-20 03:23]:
> > http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mutt/bugrep.html
> > Additions?  Corrections?  Feedback welcome!
> The last sentence of the top section is:
> "The report then gets sent to debian.org and there enters the"
> First, this is incomplete.

oops!

> Second, it is wrong as far as it goes.  flea(1)
> doesn't send anything to debian.org.

  SUBMIT="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
  DEBIAN_SUBMIT="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

hmm... isn't DEBIAN_SUBMIT used at all?

> Also, it's not that useful to suggest people send bugs
> to mutt-users, since most people that frequest this
> list aren't developers.  mutt -v requests bug reports
> go to mutt-dev, and that's where they should go.

well, considering the amount of data this generates
mutt-dev isn't the place to take in such huge mails, either.

> In any case, people really should just use flea if they
> want to get a tracked resolution/not fall through the cracks.

ok - I'll just tell everybody to report bugs with "flea" then.

thanks for your feedback, Jeremy!

attached is the current version.
further additions welcome!  :-)

Sven
                             MUTT Bug Report Guide
                   Latest change: Mon Mar 25 20:28:25 MET 2002

Did you see a bug with MUTT? Then please report it!

MUTT now ships with a script for reporting bugs - flea.
This will ask you these things:
  * enter a one-line description of the problem
  * describe the severity of the problem (0: feature request; 1: special; 2:
    unstable; 3: dangerous; 4: critical).
  * add info from coredump? (optional)
  * include personal setup file or system setup file? [both optional]
  * enter more text (flea will then call the $EDITOR)
  * "Submit, Edit, View, Quit? [S|e|v|q]"

The report then gets sent to the bug tracking system automatically.

So, how do you write a report for those?

First off, DON'T PANIC!

DON'T send a report to the list unprepared.

THINK about it. Sit down and relax, drink a tea or coffee. Try to remember what
you typed that caused the problem. Take the time to analyze the problem - and
take notes. Is this a kind of problem you would encounter with your daily use
with mutt? Or is it a quite esoteric one? Were there any error messages? Or is
the problem with making a mutt binary in the ifirst place?

You should have some notes now - and now you are ready to write the report.
Start your favourite editor now.

Please include some basic info!

Most people use mutt on Unixish systems - but there is a mutt for win32, too. So
the first thing you need to mention is some system info (including info such as
"uname -a"). [It pays off to keep such info ready in some text file.] Do so even
when you *know* that the bug is system independent.

Then include the following info, too:

Version number:
Whenever reporting a bug please include the version number! Please note that it
is not always clear whether the version you used to send the report is also the
version that the report applies to.

Menu name and command name:
Most bugs appear after using a command from a command menu. So please include
information about menu name and command name as well! NOTE: Some menus share
commands of the same name, that's why giving the menu name can be essential. In
any case, the info makes it easier to check bugs. Furthermore, giving the key
that invokes the command is not helpful either as MUTT allows arbitrary key
binding. ;-)

So, PLEASE, give this info at the beginning of a bug report:

        Bug report header example

        version:  0.48
        menu:     main-menu
        command:  previous-undeleted
        config:   set edit_hdrs

Setup and compilation info:
Sometimes it is necessary to give info on setting of your setup file and even
the output of "mutt -v". Please send these things as attachments!

Patches:
If you can spot the error in the source and if you can even produce a patch then
do send it!! It is much appreciated. Again, patches should be attached, too.

NOTE: Ed-like diffs are too difficult to apply as they don't retain the file
name. Please send context or unified diffs only! Thanks!

diff -u or
diff -c

Remember: Bug reports are very welcome - but they should contain info for the
developers, too.

Many problems have to do with terminals and utilities. So you should give info
about the environment you are using mutt in.

  * Are you logging in on the console of the computer?
  * Are you using mutt on a local terminal (aterm, eterm, rxvt, xterm)?
  * Are you logging in to the computer using some terminal program? (using
    telnet or ssh?
Much about the mutt binary is answered by mutt -v:

$ mutt -v
Mutt 1.3.27i (2002-01-22)
Copyright (C) 1996-2001 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: SunOS 5.8 (sun4u) [using ncurses 5.2]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE
+USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_POP  -USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  -USE_SASL
-HAVE_REGCOMP  +USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+HAVE_PGP  +BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  +LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
++HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_GETSID  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
ISPELL="/import/gnu/bin/ispell"
SENDMAIL="/usr/lib/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/home/robinson/emailer/guckes/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/home/robinson/emailer/guckes/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
-MIXMASTER
To contact the developers, please mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
To report a bug, please use the flea(1) utility.

but you can cut this down to this:

$ mutt -v
Mutt 1.3.27i (2002-01-22)
System: SunOS 5.8 (sun4u) [using ncurses 5.2]
-DOMAIN -DEBUG -HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK
-DL_STANDALONE +USE_FCNTL -USE_FLOCK +USE_POP  -USE_IMAP
-USE_GSS -USE_SSL -USE_SASL -HAVE_REGCOMP +USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR +HAVE_START_COLOR +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET +HAVE_META +HAVE_RESIZETERM +HAVE_PGP +BUFFY_SIZE
-EXACT_ADDRESS -SUN_ATTACHMENT +ENABLE_NLS +LOCALES_HACK
+HAVE_WC_FUNCS +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV -ICONV_NONTRANS +HAVE_GETSID +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
-MIXMASTER
ISPELL="/import/gnu/bin/ispell"
SENDMAIL="/usr/lib/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/home/robinson/emailer/guckes/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/home/robinson/emailer/guckes/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"

And very often something like this will suffice:

$ mutt -v
Mutt 1.3.27i (2002-01-22) SunOS 5.8 (sun4u) [using ncurses 5.2]
-HOMESPOOL  +USE_DOTLOCK +USE_POP  -USE_IMAP +USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR +HAVE_START_COLOR +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+HAVE_PGP +BUFFY_SIZE +ENABLE_NLS +LOCALES_HACK +HAVE_ICONV

You can now post your report using the script "flea" which is shipped with mutt.

MailList: You can also send your bugreport to the mailing list of the developers
"mutt-dev". But please refrain from posting dumping your complete setup there.
Remember that sending to the mailing list requires subscription; mails from
unsubscribed addresses will go to a moderator - and I'm not whether anyone
really moderates those mails...

Usenet: Posting your problems to comp.mail.mutt is another possibility - but not
all developers follow that newsgroup. Remember that posts expire from
newsservers and may thus be lost before they can get read.

Thank you for your time!

Created:     Sat Mar 16 10:00:00 MET 2002
Send feedback on this page to
Sven Guckes [EMAIL PROTECTED]