On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 08:17:05AM -0500 I heard the voice of
David T-G, and lo! it spake thus:

> % it (requiring root at THAT point) when it has args.  Solaris assumes that
> % you're always trying to set it, even to nothing.
>
> Really?  I've never heard of that.
>
>   nfs5{43} uname -a
>   SunOS nfs5 5.8 Generic sun4u sparc
>   nfs5{44} id
>   uid=1236(dthorbur) gid=1012(u_it)
>   nfs5{45} hostname
>   nfs5
>   nfs5{46}

Or I could be completely talking out of my hat   ;p

Most of my Slowaris experience was 2.5.1 (SunOS 5.5.1), before they
decided "Hey, 2.6 + 1 = 7!", and I definately recall something that I
considered a pretty basic "give me this bit of info" command that Solaris
decided to interpret as "set this info" and yelled at me for not being
root.  I THOUGHT that was hostname(1), but I can't say for sure (and I
don't have anything Solaris around to check.  It works as expected on
SunOS 4.1.4.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unix Systems Administrator      |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]