On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 07:47:29AM -0800, Michael Elkins wrote:

> > > You're wrong.
> >
> > How is he wrong?
>
> In the computer science sense, an operating system is the piece of
> software which interfaces with the hardware.  In many cases this is just
> the kernel.  Generically people refer to as OS as the collection of all
> software plus the kernel.  But technically, the Linux kernel is an
> operating system in the true sense of the word (all the user apps aren't
> really necessary to run the computer, they're just a convenience ;-).

Like many other definitions of recent concepts, this is not hard and fast, and
depends on where you find your definition.  I will gladly cede that in oldskool
UNIX parlance, the kernel is the operating system, and even such low-level
programs as init(8) are technically user-space apps.

Generally, though, it's been my experience that the usage of 'operating system'
now refers also to user-space system-controlling processes.  Probably, this
could be considered a bastardization stemming from DOS's monolithic stance on
OS tasks.

The question of which is right is probably flame material.  We both have our
reasons to say we're right.  Based on something like Bach's "Design of the UNIX
Operating System," the kernel is technically the OS.  Based on the definition
of GNU, many user-space applications are also the OS.

And that's all I have to say about that.

--
rjbs