* James Greenwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-03-30 17:05]:
> I have recently switched from Pine to Mutt and I have several mailboxes
> that open fine in Pine but not in Mutt.  Mutt seems to concatenate some
> of the messages together so that there are fewer messages in the

Are there any Content-Length lines?  If so - delete them.
It's easy with vi:
  $ vi ~/Mail/folder
  :g/^Content-Length:$/d
  :x
  $ mutt -f ~/Mail/folder

Does it work now?

> .. how can I re-order an existing mailbox file by date so that
> the file itself changes, rather than doing it dynamically (and
> slowly on a large mailbox) every time the mailbox is opened?

Tag all messages and the save them to a new file (folder).

  T     tag-pattern
  .     all ("contains at least some character")
  ;     tag-prefix  (applies following command to all tagges messages)
  C     copy-message
  +NEW  foldername "NEW"

The folder "NEW" (usually ~/Mail/NEW) should now
contain all the messages in the current order.
To change the order use 'o' ("sort-mailbox") -
before copying/saving the messages to a new folder.

have fun! :-)

Sven

--
Sven Guckes          http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mutt/setup.html
Mutt setup from scratch, Sven's sample setup; attribution, "limit", "list"