James Greenwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I looked more carefully at the From lines of the messages
> it was picking up compared to those it wasn't, and in the
> ones mutt can see, the sender is an e-mail address, e.g. :
>
>       From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue Oct 16 12:48:57 2001
>
> whereas in the messages mutt is ignoring, it is a name, e.g.:
>
>       From Bruce Smith Wed Oct 17 17:08:13 2001
>
> and just removing the space like this solves the problem:
>
>       From BruceSmith Wed Oct 17 17:08:13 2001

This is exactly the problem.  Mutt uses a more stringent definition for
the mailbox separator, namely "From <userid> <date-stamp>".  Mutt has
some heuristics for recognizing date stamps, but if the userid is more
than one word, the heuristics fail.  Technically it shouldn't be
multiple words anyway.

> I don't know enough about the mailbox format to know whether
> this is a bug in mutt, or a bug in the LibDBX program I used
> to translate the Outlook files into mailbox format.

It's a bug in the tool that wrote the mailbox, LibDBX, I suppose.  But
it's hard to fault it, since the mailbox format is so loosely defined.

Mutt chooses to be picker about the "From " syntax because some mailers
don't properly escape a "From " that is inside the body of the message.

--
David DeSimone   | "The doctrine of human equality reposes on this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  that there is no man really clever who has not