On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 09:09:38AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> hi all.  just a quick question from a newbie.  i usually sign all my
> emails but one of the lists i write to complains that it will not accept
> emails with attachments due to the fact that they don't want to spread
> msft viruses.  now it is my understanding that when you sign an email you
> are actually sending a multipart "page" with the message being part 1 and
> the signature being part 2.  if that is the case then it would seem to me
> that i cannot send signed emails to this list.  is my understanding valid?

Yes.

> is there another way to send signed emails?

You could succumb to the non-standards-following world and use the
pgp_create_traditional variable.  There are also other ways of signing
messages that have been used in the past, and many discussions have taken
place here, and patches have been posted to allow it.  Check the archives
if you want it.

>                                              and now for the mutt tie-in,
> can i set mutt up to automatically not sign emails to particular address?
> i have read about the *-hooks but am still new to mutt.  might someone give
> an example or two of how this might be done.  thanks!

1. Complain to the list admin about their broken list.

2. Example (untested, made up from memory...):

  send-hook .                        set pgp_autosign
  send-hook [EMAIL PROTECTED]  unset pgp_autosign

--
David Smith            Work Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
STMicroelectronics     Home Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]