* On 2002.04.03, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
*       "Simon White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 03-Apr-02 at 16:47, Sven Guckes ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote :
> > but maybe it's just that our Solaris machines
> > don't have proper locales installed.  actually,
> > the local installation drives me up the wall.
> > this alone it's a good reason to switch to Linux.
>
> We run Linux on Sparc boxes and are happier with them than when they ran
> SunOS5.8.

I run Solaris on my PC and am much happier with it than when it ran
Linux. But OS advocacy doesn't address mutt questions.

Chersets work fine on Solaris 8, with Sun's iconv, even, last time I
checked. Unfortunately, I can't investigate this further at the moment,
as I don't use 8 any longer. But I have had success, for what that's
worth.

(I'm not aware of any problems with iconv or locales on Solaris 8. Some
charset names differ in Solaris from Linux, but I believe those have
been accomodated with aliases, as they're not broken, just different.)

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago