Hi,

* Mike Schiraldi [04/15/02 15:55:22 CEST] wrote:

[ interesting points ]

Good points, thanks for mentioning.

But in my opinion current problems/difficulties with PGP only
affect people currently using it. So the concept of a web of
trust and the resulting problems only motivate people
currently using it to switch to S/MIME.

Another point why PGP and encryption/signing is not very
widely used is that there are lots people using the internet
who are not technically interested in it. If they knew more
details they maybe were interested in PGP or S/MIME. S/MIME
won't become the no. 1 standard unless people see a need to
use digital signatures. There're good reasons, I know, but
someone has to tell them besides all the colorfull tv
commercials promising ultimate security out-of-the-box.

There are lots of servers still running telnet daemons and
allowing users to log into a ftp machine by sending the
passwort as plaintext. And not only that, some
users/administrators don't see any reason why to switch to
ssh. And on the other hand there're people complaining about
PGPs web of trust and try to motivate others to use S/MIME
instead. IMO there's a long way to go.

Furthermore I personally prefer the pgp concept of trust than
just to generally trust an authority. I don't know in detail
how they work and thus don't want to trust them blindly that
they're doing their job the way I would. I want to have the
power to decide which key I trust and which not on my own.

Cheers, Rocco.