* On 2002.04.23, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
*       "Dave Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Any chance making it adding the information as an additional X- header?
>
> Well, I've asked.  Well see what happens.  For the moment, it appears
> to have stopped doing it - whether that's due to complaints (mine or
> others), or for other reasons, I don't know.

I'd think it alright for them to prepend a text/plain part, so long as
they take particular care with the other data.

1. Extract the original content-type, etc. headers
2. Change those headers to multipart/mixed
3. Insert the text/plain part
4. Wrap the original MIME parts in a new part with the content-type
   copied from the header in step 1.
5. Do not alter any data or MIME headers inside the MIME parts.

So something that looks like:

would become

And something that looks like:

would become:

You can probably do this on your end with a nice little shell script
(and a filter such as procmail), if you know exactly how they break
things. But better if they fix it like this from above.

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago