On Mon, May 20, 2002 19:04:20 at 07:04:20PM +0100, Bruno Postle wrote:
> On Mon 20-May-2002 at 12:40:31PM -0500, David T-G wrote:
> >
> > % One important difference is that vfolders are built around
> > % pre-built indexes, making them more efficient than grepping hundreds
> > % of megs of
> >
> > Hmmm...  Maybe glimpse as a search indexer?
>
> The Maildir 'me.hcache' patch indexes your mail as you go along and the
> db files are quite ok for searching.
>
> Indexing mail in this way is much more efficient than an indexing
> cronjob (always out-of-date) or a separate indexing demon (wrecks quake
> performance).

What do you mean by "indexing daemon"?

I too am really interested in the possibility of having all your mail
indexed so that you can make faster and more sophisticated searches
than grepmail allows. Couldn't the indexing database be run once and
then only on *new* messages, after fetchmail/procmail have delivered
them? This should not be noticeable, should it?

The indexing database engine also has the enormous advantage that you
can index every text file, not just email. Unlike the other solutions
proposed, it would also help when you say "damn, I should really paste
into this message the last part of that old school project..."

What do you think?

        Marco Fioretti

Red Hat 7.2 in 8 MB of RAM: www.rule-project.org

--
Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think
about.