On Tue 21-May-2002 at 11:32:56PM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> > The Maildir 'me.hcache' patch indexes your mail as you go along and
> > the db files are quite ok for searching.
> >
> > Indexing mail in this way is much more efficient than an indexing
> > cronjob (always out-of-date) or a separate indexing demon (wrecks
> > quake performance).
>
> What do you mean by "indexing daemon"?

An indexer can run as a separate background process, trawling the
filesystem for new data.  Microsoft 'find fast', Nautilus and other
similar beasts do this (I think, apologies if I'm slandering Nautilus
here).

> Couldn't the indexing database be run once and then only on *new*
> messages, after fetchmail/procmail have delivered them? This should
> not be noticeable, should it?

That would be a good strategy, so long as procmail is the only local
delivery agent.  You would still need to keep track of messages you
create or move with mutt though.

The only disadvantage with letting mutt build the index, is that you
won't be able to find messages in folders that haven't been 'opened'.

--
Bruno