On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 04:29:55PM +0100, Dean Richard Benson wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I post to a few different groups - mutt-users being just one of them.
>
> I have a question tho regarding the usage of mutt/groups/spam.
>
> A lot of the spam I receive these days is to addresses that I have
> previously used to post to newsgroups.  So how do others handle posting
> to newsgroups/mailing lists without getting flooded with spam.

I do receive some spam. But not that much, only a couple every day,
while I always use real addresses in newsgroups and mailing lists.

I do have one dummy address that I check once every couple of weeks.
I use that to subscribe or get a feature from sites.
I won't incriminate myself too much, let's just say that sometimes
someone wants you to get an account for a porn-site before you can
access their "information" or "service".

I guess I am lucky with the amount of spam I get, but I won't mangle
addresses no matter the burden. I'd rather use a good filter
locally.

One of the beauties of usenet and lists is the archive. I use it a
lot before asking questions myself. It would be a shame if people
stop having their messages available in archives. I would hate to
have to rely on message boards on the www.

Bob