On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 09:01:53PM -0700, Deb wrote:
> Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> had this to say,
>
> > On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 01:13:47PM -0700, Deb wrote:
> > > I forgot to mention that I'm using xterm-166, with terminfo
> > > xterm-color, on Solaris, Sparc.  Not sure the xfree86 is
> > > appropriate for this platform?
> >
> > But xterm-color usually says that the terminal doesn't implement back color
> > erase (bce).  In that case, most full-screen applications will write explicit
> > blanks, which xterm's select/paste will preserve.
>
> Hold on.  The behavior holds for *both* xterm and xterm-color, and I
> just tested F-secure ssh Windoze client - and it also exhibits the
> same behaviour - the only common denominator is using mutt and copying/
> pasting text from a displayed message.

not if we're talking about the same thing.  xterm stores a null in each cell
for places which are erased, and a non-zero code otherwise.  When someone
selects data, it supplies blanks in place of embedded nulls, but does not
change trailing nulls to blanks.  It stores a flag to tell if the text was
wrapped, so selections of wrapped lines work as expected.

So the only real issue (for xterm) is whether the application wrote trailing
blanks to the screen.  Since XFree86 xterm implements bce and (unless you're
running FreeBSD ;-), xterm-color doesn't mention bce, applications using $TERM
set to xterm-color will fill cells with explicit blanks, while using the
terminfo which I supplied with xterm, they'll rely on the terminal's behavior -
and generally not use blanks except where it's faster than some other way.

Applications such as 'screen' tend to confuse the issue of course.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://invisible-island.net