Lars Hecking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[I Cc'd this message to mutt-users, too - I think this belongs there
instead of mutt-dev]

> I think the documentation about scoring is quite lacking.

I could somewhat agree; I've never been able to fully understand how
mails could be sorted first by threads and then by score. Perhaps this
would do it:

        folder-hook . set sort=threads
        folder-hook . set sort_aux=score

Yes, I know you didn't ask this question - I'm just trying to find
answers for myself too. :-)

Anyway, what if I want Mutt to sort all mailing list folders first by
thread, then by date (most recent last) and finally by score; like Slrn
does for me at the moment. Could someone who uses scoring show me some
examples of how you sort the folders?

> One of the few links I found is
>
>   http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2001/1107.mutt2.html

This link actually contained pretty nice information. Not very thorough,
but it was helpful. I agree with you, that the documentation about
scoring in Mutt could be more thorough. I've never got the hang of
how to create effective scoring system in Mutt and make it sort the
mails accordingly, either.

>  How can I determine/view a message's score value?

You can add %N to your index_format.

> How exactly are messages "flagged" if the threshold is reached?

This interests me greatly, as well.

> Can scoring only be used in sorting?

I'm quite sure. Or if it couldn't be used, my knowledge about 'scoring'
(which comes from using Slrn) is very narrow and I simply don't
understand how scoring is effectively and powerfully applied in Mutt...

Try setting some folder-hooks similar to the ones I wrote above. I think
score can be given as argument to ``set sort=''.

> And finally, why are negative final scores rounded up to 0?

Umm, sorry - didn't quite get what you mean...

> Advanced: how would I go about assign a score proportional to the number
> of asterisks in SpamAssassin's X-Spam-Level: header? Is this possible
> at all?

Sounds a bit complicated, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would be
possible. But honestly, I don't know. I haven't had the need to use
these values, because all I care is ``X-Spam-Flag: Yes''.

Any input and information about effective scoring is highly appreciated.
It's one of the things in Mutt I've never really get hang of.

--
Jussi Ekholm  --  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  --  http://erppimaa.ihku.org/