David Champion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jussi Ekholm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> [I Cc'd this message to mutt-users, too - I think this belongs there
>> instead of mutt-dev]
>
> Maybe, but it's also a request for someone to further develop the
> documentation. :)

Yeah, you're right. Well, now it goes for both lists and hopefully it'll
raise some questions and other people would join the discussion, as
well.

>> Anyway, what if I want Mutt to sort all mailing list folders first by
>> thread, then by date (most recent last) and finally by score; like
>> Slrn does for me at the moment. Could someone who uses scoring show
>> me some examples of how you sort the folders?
>
> I don't believe you can, until Daniel's latest threading patches make
> it into 1.5.n, n>=2. The new patches will isolate threading from
> sorting, so that you enable or disable threads but still have two sort
> parameters.

Oh, really? I can't wait to get my hands on that patch! Keep me posted
and let me know when it comes out, if I'm too blind to see. :-)

>> I'm quite sure. Or if it couldn't be used, my knowledge about
>> 'scoring' (which comes from using Slrn) is very narrow and I simply
>> don't understand how scoring is effectively and powerfully applied in
>> Mutt...
>
> No, the "~n" pattern operator evaluates scores. You can color, limit,
> search, etc. based on scores. E.g.:

Yeah, well - actually I had doubt in my mind when I wrote the above, and
unfortunately now my doubts got proven true. What's the real point in
Mutt's scoring then, if it cannot be used to sort mails? Yes, I do
realize that coloring, limiting and searching by score makes some things
easier but still I can't say that I'd think Mutt's scoring would be very
effective. So, I'm still not going to set up a score file; after I can
take a look at Daniel's patch things can change.

> But I don't know a lot. I don't use scoring, because I find that I have
> to use it consistently for all my mail to make it useful for any of my
> mail.

I don't use scoring either, as I mentioned. But in Slrn, I really
couldn't manage without scoring anymore. It just makes reading news
helluva lot easier, as I can first check the "important" stuff and the
stuff I really don't wanna see is already marked read, thus I can read
them if I want to, but often I just let them go.

Waiting for the threading patch with score as sort parameter!-)

- --
Jussi Ekholm  --  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  --  http://erppimaa.ihku.org/