* On 2002.08.02, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
*       "Calum Selkirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > if mutt could be ./configure'd --with-pcre (nondefault, of course),
> > > there'd be virtually no problems with confusion between regexps
> > > found in various published .muttrc's and the syntax mutt linked with
> > > pcre actually expected.
> >
> > assuming this is true - who would
> > (1) prepare the transition?
> > (2) write the patches?
> > (3) write the documentation?
> > (4) update the setup files?
> > any takers?
>
> Sven,
>
> "if" is generally regarded as a conditional and is never in and of
> itself "true" but predicated on meeting certain conditions (in this
> case 1,2,3,4)

"If it is true that a hypothetical mutt executable linked with libpcre
causes virtually no problems with confusion...."

To add to your list of questions: What's the trouble here? Why am I
defending Sven, and what does this say about your posting?

Anyway, I don't think it's particularly true. We already have had
clashes where someone (generally a Linux user) posts GNU-compatible
regexes that are not EREs, and someone else using standard EREs cannot
use the macro, limit, or whatever, and must post again asking for
explication, debugging, whatever, and it takes a few iterations to
figure out the trouble. This would only get worse once one can enable
PCREs.

I'm not judging whether that's okay, just predicting that it will
happen.

--
 -D.                    Fresh fruit enriches everyone.  Takes the thirst
 Sun Project, APC/UCCO  out of everyday time.  A pure whiff of oxygen,