On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:45:27PM -0700, JeeBak Kim wrote:
> * Thomas Baker ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [020909 23:03]:
> > I have used various workarounds -- at one extreme, switch to
> > Mozilla and re-type the URL -- but this is really inefficient
> > if the task is to click my way through, say, a blog bulletin
> > from Red Rock Eater (with lots of URLs).
>
> Hmm... does copy and paste not work in your cygwin environment?
> Are you using the cygwin dos console?  You might want to install
> the rxvt cygwin package.  It's much more friendlier ;).

Yes, I do have this, and it works, but it comes up with
a small font, default screen colors, doesn't seem to read
my bash-environ settings, etc.  Is all of this explained
somewhere in one place (a book about XWindows??), or do you
have to chase down the solutions to these various problems
one-by-one through the man pages...?  This is what has kept
me using the cygwin dos console, which looks terrific since
I customized the colors and fonts by right-clicking for the
WIN2000 window properties.

>   ftp://ftp.mutt.org/mutt/contrib/urlview-0.9.tar.gz
>
> and that you couldn't use it in cygwin for some reason.  I've
> compiled it successfully in cygwin and it works perfectly as it
> does in unix.  After compiling and installing urlview in your

As a non-programmer, I have not had good experience with
compiling, but this one did compile right out of the box.
Thanks!!

> I hope this helps!

This is a huge leap forward, many thanks!  It's not quite
ideal, in my opinion, because there are extra keystrokes
involved in scrolling down and finding the URL again out
of its original context.  This is not a problem if there
are just three or four URLs, but looks like it could get a
bit tedious if working through a mail message that mentions
60 or so emails, such as a Red Rock Eater bulletin.  Also,
Netscape or Mozilla mail would show an already-clicked-on
link in a different color, and that seems not to be the case
with urlview.

But I'm not complaining... -- this is worlds better than what
I have been doing!

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784